Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Not All Online Detective Sites Are Created Equal

If you read my original post below, you know that I am writing about a personal experience I had with trying to track down a cell phone number for my brother. After searching on Google (my brother's favorite) and Yahoo (my favorite) for reverse cell phone look-up services, we discovered their were many, many service claiming they could help us. So we tried to find a site that provided reviews of these phone tracing services. Previously, I listed three of the sites we found that offered reviews of these "online investigation services" -- this got us started on our journey.

After reading the reviews, we signed up for a service called Cyber Detective. This service was not very good (I see it has since been removed from these review sites). So we tried others like Net Detective, Web Detective and Detective Choice. Even though these services have thousands of links, serve a purpose, and are inexpensive ($10-$35), they were not what we were hoping to find. But ultimately they did save us some valuable time - which was probably worth the money we spent.

The best of these services was
Detective Choice. They seemed to care about making the search easy for us. Still, it seemed every time we found a resource that could help us with our cell phone trace, there was an additional fee. We understand that not everyone is searching for the same thing, and lots of free data was available on their site, but it was still frustrating.

My next post will address what you CAN accomplish at these detective sites. In future posts, I will try to help my readers find what they are looking for in the fastest, lowest cost manner -- based on their investigation requirements.

No comments: